Followers

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

FROM ISTANBUL TO CINCINNATI; LIFE AT THE COLLEGE

 PART VI

Rabbi Rifat Sonsino, Ph.D  

LEAVING CINCINNATI

Towards the end of my fifth year at the Hebrew Union College, the question arose as to where  would I serve the Jewish community. There was no future for Reform Judaism in Turkey, so I had to find another country. France had limited possibilities. I did not care for a position in England or South Africa.  So, it was either Australia or New Zealand. But the College had other ideas. One day I was asked to meet with Dr. Sandmel, the provost. He told me, “Rifat, you are going to Buenos Aires.” I was shocked! I said, “Why Argentina? I don’t know anyone there.” “Well,” he added, “the World Union for Progressive Judaism that paid for your education needs you there, because you can speak Spanish.” I was not very happy, but did not have another choice. I asked for his personal advice. He suggested that I apply for an American citizenship before leaving the country. (Regrettably, I did not do that at the time). I told him that I would like to visit my parents before traveling to Argentina. He said he would facilitate this. Rabbi Haim Asa, who was the first Rabbi of Temple Emanu-El in Buenos Aires, was leaving at the end of June. The congregation would have to wait until late August for my arrival.

            In the meantime, I prepared myself for my ordination and eventual departure. The Consecration program took place at Rockdale Temple on Friday night June 3, 1966. The 82nd Ordination service was held at the Isaac M. Wise Temple on Saturday morning, June 4. At the beginning of a very impressive ceremony, 17 of us walked down the aisle with academic garb. Provost Samuel Sandmel presented the hoods to us, and Nelson Glueck conferred our degrees. He blessed each one of us in front of the ark, sharing personal thoughts privately with us. Rabbi Isaac Jerusalmi gave the final benediction. Then we all went to a downtown hotel for a luncheon.  Because I did not have any family that would sponsor the lunch for me, I invited the Guttmanns, (He was my Talmud professor), the president of my congregation in Kokomo, IN and few others local friends. 

            Shortly after, I said good-bye to Cincinnati and all the people I knew in the States, and left for Turkey. My parents were glad to see me, and I was happy to be back with the family. However, I was anxious to start my work in Buenos Aires. An important incident prompted my departure from Istanbul. At that time, Turkey and Greece were at each other’s throats over Cyprus, and there was a great likelihood that they would go to war over it. I decided to get out before being called up as a reserve officer. I departed a few days earlier than expected. It was a smart move, for a few hours after I left home, the Turkish military came home to look for me. By that time I was on my way to Argentina, a move that represents a pivotal experience in my life.  It was in Buenos Aires that I revived a small congregation, Templo Emanu-El, got married to Ines and became a father. On Aug. 1969, we left for Philadelphia to begin work as Rabbi-Educator at Main Line Reform Temple,  and to obtain my doctoral degree at the University of Pennsylvania in Bible and Cuneiform studies. In 1975, after I got my Ph.D , we left for North Shore Congregation Israel in Glencoe, IL and in 1980, we came to Needham, MA, and I became the Rabbi of Temple Beth Shalom, from which I retired in 2003.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment